Saturday 1 March 2008

What's in it for my business?

Yesterday, I presented a short talk on "Peak Oil and the Future of Your Business" for a Sydney Business Club.  I talked about the limited supply of cheap oil,  about change to more fuel efficient vehicles, non-oil based packaging and our dependence on plastics. At the end of the talk, I was asked the question -"what's in it for my business, why should I change?".  
Actually, it was a very good question and I thought about it overnight.  What would motivate a business owner to make an investment when they are primarily concerned about the day to day financial stresses and profitability of their business?

After a good night's sleep the answer was obvious - it's all about direction.  If  we are all going in one direction - the direction of a fossil fuel future, then some will change and veer off towards the renewable future.  The cost of this change increases the longer you postpone this change. By investing in your business in the next few years, the direction of your business has changed. You know where you are going and you are less likely to be disrupted by increasing oil prices.  For those who postpone this investment, the costs are very likely to be much higher. A renewable future is what lies ahead - is your business heading in that direction?
  

No comments: