Friday 24 October 2008

Bert's wind

This week I visited Western Australia and stayed in a great B&B (bed and breakfast) in Albany located on the Southern coast. Albany was originally a whaling community at the end of the world, and it now has the greatest little wind farm on its horizon. I booked into Bert's B&B and he proudly showed off his heritage building, the lovely room with the heated towel rail which I soon turned off, thinking that it wasted energy.

Bert was very proud of the wind farm and told me about how the town derives most of its electricity from the turbines, located in the wildflowers on the beautiful coast line. And when I stumbled across this mosaic in the footpath on the way to the local pub, I suspected that there were many others in the region who felt like Bert. And somehow I felt better about Bert's heated towel rail!

No comments: